Sunday, October 14, 2012

Review: Waking Storms by Sarah Porter


Title: Waking Storms
Author: Sarah Porter
Reviewed by: Cassie
The Fairies Say: Haunting and honest!

Summary (from Goodreads.com)

After parting ways with her troubled mermaid tribe, Luce just wants to live peacefully on her own. But her tranquility doesn't last long: she receives news that the tribe is on the verge of collapse and desperately needs her leadership. The tribe's cruel queen wants Luce dead. Dorian, the boy Luce broke mermaid law to save, is determined to make her pay for her part in the murder of his family. And while the mermaids cling to the idea that humans never suspect their existence, there are suddenly ominous signs to the contrary.

But when Luce and Dorian meet, they start to wonder if love can overpower the hatred they know they should feel for each other. Can Luce fulfill her rightful role as queen of the mermaids without sacrificing her forbidden romance with Dorian?


Waking Storms and the Lost Voices Trilogy left a very interesting aftertaste in my reader 'mouth'. Normally, I would throw down this book and be like, "NO MORE!! NO MORE." Of course, in that situation I'd probably go and raid the pantry for comfort food. So I decided I'd brave it and just stick with it and it's definitely a book that will stay with you.

In my not-so-trusty opinion (and slightly deranged if you ask the right people) this book is sort of like a drug that you know will leave you fifty shades of messed up and disturbed but in the moment, it's like a negative rainbow just sprouted in your brain, mouth, and possibly pinky toe. And yes, negative rainbows on pinky toes are totally in and extremely sexy, or so my sources tell me.

Anyways, I can't really remember how Waking Storms begins, probably because I began this books freaking weeks ago. I just couldn't finish it. I kept telling myself, "Let's go Cassie! If we can brave a hundred more pages we'll sneak in a scoop of ice cream!" And it wasn't really helping... It was just so dark... and haunting... and lush... and dazzlingly tragic... and enchanting... and yes I'm stealing that from the front cover. But it's all true.
This is how I imagined I would be when I finished the book...
Yeah no.


Luce.. bugged me. But it's probably 'cause she lacked, as I like to call it, a "mean gene". She had her temper, but for a murdering mermaid it was totally subdued. I was hoping she'd unleash the (RAINBOW! Starbursts!! Wait... we're talking about mermaids.... crap.) power. Unfortunately, she didn't. But she's chill man, you know? Like totally down... and yep my druggie talk right there.
Dorian.
...
Dorian if you're reading this I'm legit gonna burn you alive. I wouldn't even have to bait myself with ice cream I'd just go freaking psycho bitch on you. I hated you Dorian. For a supposedly smart girl, our Luce falls for him. He's supposed to be some 'deep, tortured' guy, but honestly I call bullshit. First of all, he's almost sixteen and he falls for a fourteen-year-old MERMAID (no disrespect Luce) and he's like, It's okay Luce, I can resist the urges that a guy wants to do with his girlfriend. YOU. ARE. SIXTEEN. She is FOURTEEN. YOU PERVERT! I will come to your house and bash your skull in with an ice cream scoop. And I will enjoy. every. second.
Anyways, he does a lot of stuff I found despicable and annoying and one thing I literally, I KID YOU NOT, slap the offending book down, stare at my dad (who's watching the Packers play) and shout at him--yes shout- "THIS BOOK SUCKS TOO! I want to murder this author!" To which my dad looks at me slightly concerned (he's been around me too long to be too concerned) and says, "Cassie, it's just a book." Just a book.

Huh.

Anyways, Dorian is pretty much the only issue I had with the book. If you're up for a haunting, lush, and brutally honest journey with a mermaid, you'll love Waking Storms. I was at times staring at the book with huge eyes thinking, DID THAT JUST HAPPEN????!! So yes. You must have a refined taste for this kind of book but it's definitely unique; if you liked Lost Voices you'll like this one just the same.

Please come back. I'll miss you if you don't. Fiction-fairies.blogspot.com guys!

xoxo Cassie

No comments:

Post a Comment