Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Review: Forgiven by Jana Oliver


Title: Forgiven
Author: Jana Oliver
Reviewed by: Cassie
The Fairies Say: Awesome and action-packed!

Summary (from BN.com)
Jana Oliver's third spellbinding Demon Trappers novel - following The Demon Trapper's Daughter and Soul Thief - brings all new thrills, as Riley Blackthorne takes on demons, love... and the future of the human race.

The days are growing darker for 17-year-old demon trapper Riley Blackthorne. With her father's reanimated body back safely, Beck barely speaking to her because of a certain hunky Fallen angel, and a freshly-made deal with Lucifer, she has enough on her hands to last a normal teenage lifetime. Though she bargained with Heaven to save his life, her ex-boyfriend Simon has told the Vatican's Demon-Hunters that she's working with Hell. So now she's in hiding, at the top of everyone's most-wanted list.

But it's becoming clear that this is bigger than Riley, and rapidly getting out of control: something sinister is happening in Atlanta... or someone. The demons are working together for the first time ever and refusing to die, putting civilians in harm's way. Riley thinks she might know who's behind it all, but who's going to believe her? Caught between her bargain with Heaven and her promise to Lucifer, Riley fears the final war is coming - and it may be closer than anyone thinks. . .

This is on my favorites shelf, guys, I'm not gonna lie. The series is something no one has even touched base on, and the characters are so ensnaring you won't want the book to end. Or the waiting to start. Now, let me put it out there that this fear-of-waiting has never happened to me before with any other book series, so be be stunned when I say this is worth it.

I'm not really sure how to describe this, since I honestly can't describe it properly. Like, I could, but this is one of those books where words are inadequate. But I'll try. For you guys :)

Forgiven starts out rapidly; there is zero explaining going on and no review of what just happened. Riley is on the move and she spares very little thoughts about the details on what went down in the last two books. Meaning that you must read the other two, and usually I would say reread right before. However, for me, the Demon Trappers series just stuck with me, so I just recalled those fond, fond memories and was off.

Riley (love the name) is her usual self. Tough attitude, wishes she could look tougher, and pretty brave. I gotta hand it to her; her life positively sucks and she makes the best out of it. While, of course, keeping me very well entertained. There are a few moments where I think her tough image falters (but that just builds her vulnerability) and while this may annoy some uber-feminist readers (cough... totally not me... okay yeah me) others will find Riley absolutely wonderful. And I mean it.

Beck. Ah, Backwoods Boy. There are so many layers to him we don't even realize and many mysteries of his past yet to come. He does have his flaws too (cough cough Justine) but in the end he is a very wonderful, yummy Southern guy. Usually, blonde doesn't do it for me. But Beck (and only two other blonde guys) does it for me.

Ori. Well we don't get much Ori because he's a statue for pretty much all of the book (he gets like, a minute when dawn touches his statue) but this book left me confuzzled. Very, very confuzzled about Ori.

Her dad. Is awesome. And sweet. And protective. Totally reminds me of my dad.
Another one of her male BFFs is Peter who is the perfect BFF.

Overall, great book. I am nervously awaiting the next book in the series. And to add to that, I can't wait for the romance to pick up! I can't remember if it was this little-touched in Soul Thief, but seriously! So many missed opportunities... Well, guess that's what comes with preventing Armageddon.

Highly recommend y'all (as Beck would say) check this out!
Also, we'd love it if you commented and if you followed/subscribed to us... Well let's just say somewhere in the world kaboom would happen. Namely somewhere in Chicago.

Hope to see you again!
Cassie ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment