Monday, November 26, 2012

Review: Mystic City by Theo Lawrence


Title: Mystic City
Author: Theo Lawrence
Reviewed by: Cassie
The Fairies Say: FANTABULOUS

Summary (from Goodreads.com)

For fans of Matched, The Hunger Games, X-Men, and Blade Runner comes a tale of a magical city divided, a political rebellion ignited, and a love that was meant to last forever. Book One of the Mystic City Novels.

Aria Rose, youngest scion of one of Mystic City's two ruling rival families, finds herself betrothed to Thomas Foster, the son of her parents' sworn enemies. The union of the two will end the generations-long politcal feud-and unite all those living in the Aeries, the privileged upper reaches of the city, against the banished mystics who dwell below the Depths. But Aria doesn't remember falling in love with Thomas; in fact, she wakes one day with huge gaps in her memory. And she can't conceive why her parents would have agreed to unite with the Fosters in the first place. Only when Aria meets Hunter, a gorgeous rebel mystic from the Depths, does she start to have glimmers of recollection-and to understand that he holds the key to unlocking her past. The choices she makes can save or doom the city-including herself.

Ahhh okay, so I may be half-delirious because of the time. But I just HAD to review this baby. So, yes. It had many flaws (most of them editor ones) and yes I may have a crush on Hunter, but. Alas.

Mystic City begins with a mysterious little prologue. A girl and her lover are kissing passionately in the rain before her family rips them apart. She screams in defiance as her father raises a gun to her head.

Hello wowzers! Basically, I thought this was going to be a waste of my time. I put it down 100 pages through to work on my mac n' cheese (yummy yummy) and then I just couldn't stop thinking about it . . . So, yes. I recommend you try it. Plus, it was a GUY who wrote this! Love it.

Aria was tolerable. I didn't love the book because of her, I'll tell you that. But she's definitely tolerable. She's a high society girl who falls in love with a poor boy. Yawn yawn, heard it before, but NO. NO. Theo Lawrence works some magic because all of a sudden I'm seeing it. Basically, her situation is really constricting and aggravating and you want to punch the wall. Yes, she makes some stupid idiotic choices. But in the end she is redeemed.

The other characters are what made the book. Good God I loved Davida. She was loyal to a fault, passionate, sweet, and dedicated. Aria's family is despicable. Turk was freaking wicked. Mohawk, motorcycle, ripped? Hell yeah! And then there's other great people, but then we have Hunter.
*drools*
Ahem, erm, what was I saying?
Oh. RIGHT.
Yeah . . . This is what popped up whenever I thought of Hunter. Alex Pettyfer, baby.
But he's not just an Alex Pettyfer bookified. He's actually pretty funny, sweet, lovely, strong, and did I mention he's aesthetically pleasing?

The world could've been better, but I still really liked it! It's got the same technology renamed but then there are the mystics. Their power can be harnessed and used as energy and drugs. That's all I'll say.

Couldn't put it down, though! Thanks for stopping by!
xoxo
Cassie

No comments:

Post a Comment