Saturday, November 17, 2012

Review: Cursed by Jennifer Armentrout

Title: Cursed
Author: Jennifer Armentrout
Reviewed by: Cassie
The Fairies Say:
Summary (from Goodreads.com)

Dying sucks-- and high school senior Ember McWilliams knows firsthand. After a fatal car accident, her gifted little sister brought her back. Now anything Ember touches dies. And that, well, really blows.

Ember operates on a no-touch policy with all living things--including boys. When Hayden Cromwell shows up, quoting Oscar Wilde and claiming her curse as a gift, she thinks he's a crazed cutie. But when he tells her he can help control it, she's more than interested. There's just one catch: Ember has to trust Hayden's adopted father, a man she's sure has sinister reasons for collecting children whose abilities even weird her out.

However, she's willing to do anything to hold her sister's hand again. And hell, she'd also like to be able to kiss Hayden. Who wouldn't? But when Ember learns the accident that turned her into a freak may not have been an accident at all, she's not sure who to trust. Someone wanted her dead, and the closer she gets to the truth, the closer she is to losing not only her heart, but her life. For real this time.

Cursed starts out with Ember's horrible, horrible day at school. Literally, it's fantastically horrendous. It made me cringe, and I'm IN high school! She gets her five-year-old sister ready for school, while her mother vegetates in her room.

Just a forewarning: I may be a little harsh because I'm a huge Jennifer Armentrout fan and had way too high expectations for this

Ember is a relateable heroine, but I had so many issues with her. But, see, this has to do with me, so if you find you don't relate with me, ignore me.
This is me when angry: 1.) calculate best advantage 2.) stare down victim 3.) let loose fists of fury ORRRRRR 1.) stare down victim 2.) let loose angry, angry words 3.) victory dance

Ember does not do this. She is so passive I was really surprised. Alex and Katy from Jennifer's previous books have sass and fight in them both, but Ember doesn't. I got this when I read Cursed:
And maybe a little...


The characters? Well, I think they're pretty interesting. Only problem is that Ember is so angsty that she doesn't really take the time to try to understand them.
Hayden- the boy, as you know there must be. A lot of readers will find him attractive.
I found him bleh-tastic. He has no sexy moves, he's way too emotional for me (I love you so, but wait! I cannot *runs away*) and well... yeah.
But, hey... he is pretty attractive.

The plot is something I've seen before- powers that mystify - BUT I like Jennifer Armentrout's approach on it. She introduces the possibility that people with powers actually have problems. (both mental and emotionally) We don't get that much because it seems to damper the mood BUT I LIKED IT. GO JENNIFER! Woohoo!

I really, really wished it was funny, but I must congratulate her because this type of story is completely different from her other series. I realize she wrote it way before the others, but I think Jennifer Armentrout's capability to achieve many different personalities in her characters is extremely impressive.


I like to think she can do this.

Thanks for stopping by guys!
xoxo
Cassie

No comments:

Post a Comment