Thursday, July 12, 2012

Grave Mercy by Robin LaFevers

Title: Grave Mercy
Author: Robin LaFevers
Reviewed by: Cassie
Rating: five glass slippers!


Summary (from BN.com)




Why be the sheep, when you can be the wolf?
Seventeen-year-old Ismae escapes from the brutality of an arranged marriage into the sanctuary of the convent of St. Mortain, where the sisters still serve the gods of old. Here she learns that the god of Death Himself has blessed her with dangerous gifts—and a violent destiny. If she chooses to stay at the convent, she will be trained as an assassin and serve as a handmaiden to Death. To claim her new life, she must destroy the lives of others.
     Ismae’s most important assignment takes her straight into the high court of Brittany—where she finds herself woefully under prepared—not only for the deadly games of intrigue and treason, but for the impossible choices she must make. For how can she deliver Death’s vengeance upon a target who, against her will, has stolen her heart?

Dear Reader,
DO YOU KNOW HOW MIND BLOWN I AM???!
No, no, of course you do not. But you will soon. See, I read the overview and gathered such:
Medieval assassin. Conflicting love interest.  Awesomegirlwithacrossbowonthecover. MEDIEVAL FREAKING ASSASSIN.
Of course I had to read this. And I was so, so pleased with my choice. It's amazing.
I was filled with despair once I finished it... but then I saw the last page! There is another book!!! OH YEAH. (Different story and girl, same amazing concept- medieval assassin)
Anyways, before I prattle on and on with this glorious book, I will lay out the basics as usual.

The heroine-
Ismae, daughter of Death himself. Medieval assassin. Oh yeah, she's through and through badass. I love her. Seriously, she takes no crap and has hidden daggers. (squeals) AND she is in those amazing dresses. (I have a thing for them) Seriously, this is the girl for me.

The guy-
Okay, get ready to swoon. So. Extremely dangerous? Yes. Deliciously taunting yet possibly interested? Yes. Gray eyes and dark hair? Mmhmm. Gavriel Duval has got it in check. Plus he is so, so sweetly concerned with Ismae at the right times and a true gentleman.

The world-
So medieval times should fascinate anyone... And if it doesn't, this surely will convince one. It's a world of treason and gossip in court, seduction and death everywhere, vengeance and mercy. It's great. Read it.

The adventure-
Medieval assassins should assure you all. Yes, there is plenty of adventure. Hidden daggers+medieval gowns+assassin with a cause= adventure-packed fun. There is action, action, action. And unlike most YA books, there is a twist. A delicious twist. (Actually possibly two? Depends on how you assess the poison problem later on.)

Yep, I was mindblown. Yep, I really want to go dream-and-daydream about Gavriel now. I also really, really want to rewind time so I can read this book as if for the first time. Seriously. Now I'm legitimately sad... A burrito of sadness :-( It is one of my favorites.
Don't forget to follow and comment! Until next time,
Cassie


No comments:

Post a Comment