Wednesday, July 18, 2012

A Beautiful Evil by Kelly Keaton

Title: A Beautiful Evil
Author: Kelly Keaton
Reviewed by: Cassie
Rating: 4.5 glass slippers


Summary (from BN.com)



Myth and mayhem inhabit a richly reimagined New Orleans in this sequel to Darkness Becomes Her.
After the epic graveyard battle at the end of Darkness Becomes Her, Ari and her friends know what they’re up against: Ari is facing the Medusa curse and is haunted by the image of what she will become. To make matters worse, the heinous goddess Athena has kidnapped young Violet and is threatening to destroy Ari.
Ari, along with the superhot Sebastian, is doing everything she can to learn more about Athena and to get Violet back. But the battle of good and evil is bigger than she realizes, and she’s about to be pulled into a world more horrific than she could ever imagine....

To begin with, if I could have, I would have given it four and 3/4 glass slippers! It truly is amazing, and if you've got any sense, you can see the cover is gorgeous. The title mysterious and... alluring. The novel really fits the book cover and the title is perfect. 

The heroine-
As seen in the first book, Darkness Becomes Her, Aristanae (Ari) is seriously kick-ass. She spent her last few years with foster parents who taught her how to take down a two-hundred pound man running with just her bare hands and how to wield a 9 mm pistol, among with many other weapons. As you can see, she is NOT one to cower when confronted, whimper when attacked, or just in general be weak. She is like the female embodiment of... strong.
Yet- she is strong yet with an even stronger heart. She cares. While a lot of the time, it won't show, she does care. She loves. She doesn't want to be what she is- doesn't want to be called "monster".
However, her personality is the main reason this book didn't get five glass slippers from me. While she 80% of the time is relate-able, I found a sizable-enough portion of the story me going... Huh? You're just going to take that and be... almost emotionless? Her stoic nature is admirable, but still unrelate-able. Her quick decision to just jump to action was also... questionable.

The guy-
Oh my. Sebastian. *dreamy eyes* Part witch (teehee, warlock) and part vampire makes for a yummilicious boy. He has bright gray eyes, pale skin, luscious (OH YEAH BABY, luscious!) black hair that usually falls into his eyes *faints*, and naturally red lips. Hm. That last part didn't do it for me. But hey, I can deal with red lips if I must... ;)
But. Don't worry- he is the package deal. In the first book, I had my questions. He seemed... 'unserious' and too easy-going by expressing interest in a stranger. But lo and behold- my qualms are rested! In the first book, he was really sweet. A bit... quick as I said before, but really a nice guy. And as I reasoned with myself in the first book, it seemed like Sebastian was the kind of guy Ari needed. Steady and sweet for her instability. Not my cup of tea, but in A Beautiful Evil, you see what torture brings out in him. His dark side. It was nice. Ooooh, you want a tease, now do you? Well I'm feeling nice today, so you got it! ;)

"In a blur he was up. A gasp lodged in my throat as he grabbed my upper arms and shoved me against the back wall of the cell. I slammed against the rock, the breath knocked out of me. He pinned me, completely covering my body with his."
pg 203,204

More? Sure.

"His thumb trailed over my cheek, hitting the tears. He lifted his head a fraction and kissed my tears away.
Then his wet lips settled on mine."

Yeah that was nice. I want a guy to kiss away my tears, I dunno about you guys... So he's sexy and sweet. Yup I dig that.

Yeah buddy, hear that? ^ ;) Move over bitches, Cassie's here to kidnap Sebastian.


Did I mention he's a drummer? (Am I the only one who finds that extremely attractive?) *drools* *_*

The best friend-
Ari has many friends, a lot of them not her age. HECK YEAH GIRL, HI-FIVE! SAME WITH ME! Ha, no but I can relate. Everyone has a feeling in him/herself that doesn't care enough to make friendly with peers. That cold, dark feeling that goes, Why should I be nice? So instead, Ari is nice to the kids-Dub, Crank, and Violet. Sebastian is sort of her best friend, and either way her friends are cool. They are.

The world-
Oh man, it's cool! She steps into a different realm a few times or so, and it's awesome. And I've always had a thing for New Orleans; it really intrigues me. Mrs. Keaton portrays it beautifully in the first book, and focuses on Olympus more so in this book. I liked this; while I had a nice culture funk with Darkness Becomes Her, I had some nice wowzas in A Beautiful Evil.

The adventure-
Oooooh- great, again. Some nice sword fights, shot gun action, and good ol' Athena-fashioned torture. Ah yes. If you do think it's a bit slow in the beginning, it picks up!

As I said before, really it's only Ari's personality that lowered the glass slippers number!

I highly recommend you read this series (I CAN'T WAIT FOR THE NEXT)!

Don't forget to follow and comment!
Until next time,
Cassie

No comments:

Post a Comment