Friday, February 13, 2015

Review: Reasonable Doubt by Whitney Gracia Williams


Title: Reasonable Doubt
Author: Whitney Gracia Williams
Genre: new adult, romance
Reviewed by: Cassie

Summary (modified from goodreads.com . . . you know, to prevent scarring innocent eyes)

I have an appetite.

A huge and very particular appetite: Blonde, curvy, and preferably not a fucking liar . . .
(Although, that's a story for another day.)

As a high profile lawyer, I don't have time to waste on relationships, so I fulfill my needs by anonymously chatting and sleeping with women I meet online.

My rules are simple: One dinner. One night. No repeats.

This is only casual sex. Nothing more. Nothing less.

At least it was, until "Alyssa" . . .

She was supposed to be a 27 year old lawyer, a book hoarder, and completely unattractive. She was supposed to be someone I shared law advice with late at night, and someone I could trust with details of my weekly escapades.

But then she came into my firm for an interview--a college-intern interview and everything changed . . .
* *Book 1 in a three part Erotic Romance Serial.* *

I had been eyeing this book for months, literally MONTHS. The cover? Amazeballs. The summary? (The unfiltered one which you can find on goodreads if you truly desire) Extremely interesting. The hype? Intriguing, yet also made me wary.
How could so many people like this series? There HAD to be something wrong with it! I was very cautious going in, because I was so afraid of being majorly disappointed.
. . . 
Which I wasn't!!

So it wasn't the five star read I was secretly hoping for, but it was very entertaining! Made me smile at times, really pulled me in, and I found myself hooked!! 

The characters:
Mainly focuses on Alyssa and Andrew, both of which are hot messes. Alyssa is a liar (at least, to Andrew) and is only pursuing law because of her parents. Andrew is an emotionally distant and top tier jerk who has serious commitment issues.

How it all came down:
Started off very strong. It continued at mid-strength-you know, some plot holes and character meh-ness. At times I felt like Alyssa was a very blurry character: at one point she would be a bold and assertive and spicy woman, while at another moment (usually around Andrew) she would become this dependent and silly and immature girl.
The ending of course was a cliffie, 

Side note:
Andrew is a VERY dirty talker. And it actually works! Some male leads are called "dirty talkers" but fall flat of the label. The things they say are so awkward and clunky that I just can't get in the groove of the dirty, ya know? It annoys me to no end, because let's face it: if you can't dirty talk, don't even TRY. It's cringe-worthy! And it's an automatic DNF.
THANKFULLY, Andrew does not fall into that category and Williams manages to flawlessly interweave his jerk-face personality with dirty, dirty words that make readers blush, smirk, and swoon just a tad. (no really, a supersupersuperSUPER small amount . . . but it's still a swoon)
(insert swoon here . . .)

Welp, that's all I can say. I wasn't disappointed, it was steamy with a lovely dirty talker, and it was intriguing!

Hugs and kisses~~
Cassie

No comments:

Post a Comment