Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Review: Debt by Nina G. Jones


Title: Debt
Author: Nina G. Jones
Genre: New Adult, Romance, Dark, Contemporary, Sociology
Reviewed by: Cassie
Summary (from goodreads.com)

I don't know what I was thinking when I hired someone to attack me. Maybe I was bored, or lonely, or there was a void so deep inside of me that I needed something explosive to fill it.

It was supposed to be safe. A thrill. A way to break through the monotony of everyday life. It was an illusion of danger that I could walk away from as soon as it was over.

Except that it wasn't. Because I had been in danger long before I ever invited it into my life.
-------
My mission is almost complete. The bubbling boil of vengeance that heats my blood might finally simmer.

She is the last piece of the puzzle. Once I destroy her, everyone who ever hurt me will have paid their debt.

It was supposed to be quick and easy, but as soon as I met her it got complicated.

Very complicated.

Well, I'll say this: not my usual.
And with that in mind, I must also say I could NOT put this down. Did I want to? Um, YEAH. I felt hella dirty reading this, like I was actively committing some sin or corrupting my (somewhat questionable) innocence by continuing this beast of a story.

The plot?
Sinfully delicious. I don't even know if delicious is the right word, but it's captivating. You can see it's going down a dark, dark road . . . And you just can't help wanting to see it through the end.

The characters?
Oooooh, perfectly messed up. Maybe they didn't mesh quite right and I questioned whether or not their chemistry/romance would work--but alas, I came to the conclusion that they were meant to be. One problem I just couldn't let go of though: TAX IS NOT A SEXY NAME. NO. ABSOLUTELY NOT.
I saw it and I laughed and I wondered if this was seriously happening. And it was.

My thoughts?
A mixture of disgust, morbid curiosity, disbelief, and dirtiness accompanied me throughout the entirety of the read.
Did I question Mia's sanity?
Yes. Yes I did. This girl was not right in the head.
Did I enjoy Tax's insanity?
In general, yes. 
Did I have my doubts about their romance?
YES.
A man attacks a woman, yet she finds it acceptable and somehow excusable? And she then finds him HOT and strangely MAGNETIC? And the way he treats her--like a cheap ho who deserves degradation?
Um. Normally I'd slap them both silly, and then the author once or twice for making me experience such stupidity.
But . . . Somehow Nina G. Jones weaves her magic and made me think,
Because, obviously, Nina G Jones shows us readers the TRUTH: the aforementioned scenario is NOT crazy, and if it is, IT IS A DELECTABLE CRAZY.
Reckless. Irresponsible. Dirty. Dangerous. Exhilarating. Erotic. Wild. Euphoric. How can one thing be all of those? How can peering into the gutter of my soul feel like I just touched heaven? 

It's raw. Gritty. Disturbing. Dark. Dirty. And utterly, utterly captivating.


Don't fucking act like you don't like this shit, Mia. I know you want someone to dirty you up. I'll make you fucking filthy.
Not a book for everyone; it's a dark, dark read.  But if you're feeling adventurous one day . . . Perhaps.

Hugs and kisses, everyone!
Cassie

No comments:

Post a Comment