Monday, November 10, 2014

Review: Fire & Flood by Victoria Scott


Title: Fire & Flood
Author: Victoria Scott
Reviewed by: Cassie
Genre: Young adult, science fiction
Summary (from goodreads.com)

Time is slipping away . . . 

Tella Holloway is losing it. Her brother is sick, and when a dozen doctors can't determine what's wrong, her parents decide to mote to Montana for the fresh air. She's lost her friends, her parents are driving her crazy, her brother is dying-and she's helpless to change anything.

Until she receives mysterious instructions on how to become a Contender in the Brimstone Bleed. It's an epic race across jungle, desert, ocean, and mountain that could win her the prize she desperately desires: the Cure for her brother's illness. But all the Contenders are after the Cure for people they love, and there's no guarantee that Tella (or any of them) will survive the race.

The jungle is terrifying, the clock is ticking, and Tella knows she can't trust the allies she makes. And one big question emerges: Why have so many fallen sick in the first place?

Victoria Scott's breathtaking novel grabs readers by the throat and doesn't let go.


WHEW. I was not expecting that!! I went in thinking it'd be a 'meh' read, but that was a great surprise!!!
It hooked me from the start.
It kept me hooked.
And then the ending... Well. Twas a cliff-hanger.
So yes. I was hooked throughout the whole dang book.

First off, lemme say Victoria Scott writes some wicked great characters. They're original, funny, and interesting, not to mention you find yourself loving them to bits and pieces.
Tella's narrative is HILARIOUS. Like, so many lines I just burst out laughing. 
For example.
"Today, I will die at the hands of a misconception."
and
"Homeboy's got a flag!"
In context, it's a lot funnier. I can't even explain it right.

Next.
I'd like to give a round of applause to Guy.
Because he's awesome.
And I like to think he's a babe.
But mostly he's awesome. In a totally un-cliche way and I totally got him and I was like



Because Guy is awesome.
He goes from "probable serial killer" to "I wanna have yo babies. Right here. Right now."
He's not sassy or snarky or witty or anything, he was just... Guy. And it worked.

Guy in all his model-esque glory
Yeppers.


Now, some may say "HOLD UP CASS, THIS REEKS OF BLASPHEMY!! IT'S A CARBON COPY OF THE HUNGER GAMES!!"
And I say to thee:
Have an open mind. Hunger Games is NOT 100% original either--the idea of a competition to death is not copyrighted, nor is revolution. (My parents say to look up The Running Man (1987))
Now. Do I think it was a tad fishy? Towards the end, yes. Yes indeed. It began to stank of Katniss-ery.
BUT ALAS.
Enjoy it. Because you probably will, if you don't get stuck up on the whole "IT BE HUNGER GAMES, YO".


Hugs and kisses~~
Cassie

No comments:

Post a Comment