Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Review: Prodigy by Marie Lu


Title: Prodigy
Author: Marie Lu
Reviewed by: Cass!
Summary (from Goodreads.com)

June and Day arrive in Vegas just as the unthinkable happens: the Elector Primo dies, and his son Anden takes his place. With the Republic edging closer to chaos, the two join a group of Patriot rebels eager to help Day rescue his brother and offer passage to the Colonies. They have only one request - June and Day must assassinate the new Elector.

It's their chance to change the nation, to give voice to a people silenced for too long.

But as June realizes this Elector is nothing like his father, she's haunted by the choice ahead. What if Anden is a new beginning? What if revolution must be more than loss and vengeance, anger and blood- what if the Patriots are wrong?

In this highly-anticipated sequel, Lu delivers a breathtaking thriller with high stakes and cinematic action.

All right y'all, wow it's been a LONG LONG LONG time since we last posted! Sorry 'bout that! Lately I've been extremely lazy so I've been avoiding my laptop and this blog. In fact, I've only started reading again (GASP!) in the last two weeks! GAH! WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU CASSANDRA??!!

Anyways, back to Prodigy. So. Let me tell you a little story.

Last year, I picked up Legend by Marie Lu and LOVED IT. Like, I just had this inexplicable sense of enjoyment after reading it. You all know what I'm talking about- read a good book that you HAVEN'T heard about (thus no false expectations) and then have this book high where you're like "The world is amazing and so is this book and wow so is everyone! AMAZINGGGGG!!!" And then you want to sing and dance even though you can't sing.
So I started this book thinking I'd have that feeling but I didn't. Why?
The characters.
OH BOY. Yeah, I didn't like June, Day, Tess, Razor, Thomas, blah blah blah at all. The only characters I did like are dead. Oh, but I do like the Elector. God he sounds hot.
. . . That's not why I like him. I swear. 
But honestly, I can't remember the last time I picked up a book in which I had to stop every twenty pages or so and either swear at the characters, slam the book down in disbelief/rage, or well, you get the idea. It wasn't pretty.
Honestly, I think the only saving grace for this book was the world. Marie Lu did some pretty fantastic world building and the Republic and Colonies seem to come to life. It's rather amazing.
And yes, the characters do have layers but here's the deal:

I read books to enjoy the characters. I occasionally like the demented sexy ones (Shatter Me all the way baby, oh and Shadow and Bone!!! GOD the Darkling and Warner- BABES) but back to the point, I don't deal well with characters who show their true ugly. Do I really want to read about a sweet, caring girl morph into the spiteful bitch we all hate because she's jealous and hurt? NO. NO I DON'T. Leave all the ugly to me sweetheart- I don't want to realize that the nice girls out there might just hate me.
Wait. I could rant about all the issues I had with the characters for a long time, but I don't think anyone wants to hear that.

Basically, you have to deal with some realistic but ugly character situations, and a fantastic world. Not too bad, but I didn't like it as much as Legend.

Ta-ta for now! Check our blog soon for more reviews!
Cass

No comments:

Post a Comment