Wednesday, August 1, 2012

The False Prince by Jennifer A. Nielson


Title: The False Prince
Author: Jennifer A. Nielsen
Reviewed by: Cassie
Rating: 5 glass slippers

Summary (from BN.com)

THE FALSE PRINCE is the thrilling first book in a brand-new trilogy filled with danger and deceit and hidden identities that will have readers rushing breathlessly to the end.
In a discontent kingdom, civil war is brewing. To unify the divided people, Conner, a nobleman of the court, devises a cunning plan to find an impersonator of the king's long-lost son and install him as a puppet prince. Four orphans are recruited to compete for the role, including a defiant boy named Sage. Sage knows that Conner's motives are more than questionable, yet his life balances on a sword's point -- he must be chosen to play the prince or he will certainly be killed. But Sage's rivals have their own agendas as well.
As Sage moves from a rundown orphanage to Conner's sumptuous palace, layer upon layer of treachery and deceit unfold, until finally, a truth is revealed that, in the end, may very well prove more dangerous than all of the lies taken together.
An extraordinary adventure filled with danger and action, lies and deadly truths that will have readers clinging to the edge of their seats.

Oh. My. God. When I say this is amazing, I mean this is AMAZING. Whew!! I like, need a breather! I had a spaz attack when I finally realized the full implications of the twist, and seriously this book has one hell of a twist. I was just sitting there, for who knows how long, chomping away on half a bag of Hershey's Kisses. I don't know if it's possible, but is a human capable of getting high off a Tetanus shot? Because it's either that or this book is like drugs for the soul... of a reader!!!!

This story is written in the viewpoint of Sage, a guy, and I know what you're thinking ladies. It's one of those guys books? Aw, man... NO. STOP. Uh-uh! This is AMAZING. Ah-mazing. Like, this may be THE best book I have read this year. Seriously.

The hero-
HE IS AWESOME. I need a guy best friend like him. He is like, Aladdin mixed with um..... I'm not that well-rounded in princely matters but let's just say HE'S FREAKING AWESOME. He's cool, he's a great liar, he's a wonderful street rat, he is compassionate, he's funny, he's like the BESTEST friend you could ever have. He is so cool.

The action-
Whoo it's a woozie! Like, it's non-stop, action-packed fun! Sage takes you with him for the journey, the struggle, and his story. In fact, there's so much going on that I absolutely MUSTMUSTMUST reread this! This is a book you could reread a million times and still be content. There are so many deceptions, lies, and falsehoods that your mind literally gets blown. And usually I say this when I am reviewing a book and have high praise for it. For The False Prince, I thought this as I was reading it, after I was finished, and while I am reviewing it. You will not be able to put this book down. I spent my whole day devoting myself to reading it, and it was not a waste.

The world-
So, I don't think anyone can outdo Shadow and Bone's world, but this was pretty good! It's got a whole map and great visualization for towns and cities. You will not be disappointed.

The verdict? You had better read this book! I seriously want to go out and buy this just so I can shove it in my older brother's face and say "READ THIS. NOW." And if I knew you, dear reader, I would do the same. If you're looking for a refresher, you need to read this! If you're sick of trashy romances with a subpar plot, read this! If you're sick of supernatural thingies or anything average, read this! READ IT. Seriously.... I am freaking mind-blown. And I want to get the next book! I have high hopes, because this could have just been a stand-alone novel, but the fact that it's just the beginning of a series, I want more! Now. Oh wait... I just checked her blog and got the second book's title. Now I am positively dying. The title?
The Runaway King
*Squeals* NO! Not fair! Now I really, really want to know why it's got "runaway" in it!! AH THE MISERY. Spring 2013 I will count down every day... 

Don't forget to comment and subscribe! (and die with me)

Cassie :)


No comments:

Post a Comment