Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Review: Immortal City by Scott Speer


Title: Immortal City
Author: Scott Speer
Reviewed by: Cassie

Summary (from Goodreads)

Jackson Godspeed is the hottest young Angel in a city filled with them.

He's days away from becoming a full Guardian, and people around the world are already competing for the chance to be watched over by him. Everyone's obsessed with the Angels and the lucky people they protect - everyone except for Madison Montgomery.

Maddy's the one girl in Angel City who doesn't breathlessly follow the Angels on TV and gossip blogs. When she meets Jackson, she doesn't recognize him. But Jackson is instantly captivated by her, and against all odds the two fall in love. 

Maddy is swiftly caught up in Jackson's scene, a world of glamour, paparazzi- and murder. A serial killer is on the loose, leaving dead Angels' wings for the police to find on the Walk of Fame. Even the Guardians are powerless to protect themselves in the face of this threat and this time it's up to Maddy to save Jackson.

Okay y'all, I gotta admit... I was really, really pleasantly surprised with this. I thought I was going to get a really stupid, rah-rah-angels book, let's do a fake romance!, kinda thing, but nope! I was actually really happy with this. In fact, (totally awesome) I really thought for a while the author was a woman, the writing was so well-written from the girl's POV.  Now, it's not to say guys can't write a female POV, it's just that usually you can tell or the girl is way to cruel, ya know? This one, it's pretty darn good.


Yeah, so I was really happy.

Maddy is a pretty cool chick- yeah, a lot of her reactions are totally realistic. However, some of her was a little overdone. Like, her indifference to everything? Yeah, I'm sure she was slightly interested by it. SLIGHTLY. I am one of the most indifferent girls out there 
(just ask anyone in my classes, they'll probably say I have Kristen Stewart Syndrome)
and I still have a MILD interest in girly shit. Just an FYI to all guys who think indifferent girls don't, and Scott Speer.

Other than that, I really liked this. It was really smooth, kept the pages turning, and actually quite refreshing.

Now, big plus- even though I didn't find the romantic interest appealing, I still liked it. That says something about it, okay?
It was a nice little read, and I'm really looking forward to the next book!

Thanks for stopping by! We'd love to read your opinions, so post a comment!
Cassie

No comments:

Post a Comment