Saturday, September 1, 2012

Team Human by Justine Larbalestier and Sarah Rees Brennan


Title: Team Human
Authors: Justine Larbalestier & Sarah Rees Brennan
Reviewed by: Cassie
Rating: 2.5 glass slippers

Summary (from BN.com)

Just because Mel lives in New Whitby, a city founded by vampires, doesn't mean she knows any of the blood-drinking undead personally. They stay in their part of town; she stays in hers. Until the day a vampire shows up at her high school. Worse yet, her best friend, Cathy, seems to be falling in love with him. It's up to Mel to save Cathy from a mistake she might regret for all eternity!
On top of trying to help Cathy (whether she wants it or not), Mel is investigating a mysterious disappearance for another friend and discovering the attractions of a certain vampire wannabe. Combine all this with a cranky vampire cop, a number of unlikely romantic entanglements, and the occasional zombie, and soon Mel is hip-deep in an adventure that is equal parts hilarious and touching.
Acclaimed authors Justine Larbalestier and Sarah Rees Brennan team up to create a witty and poignant story of cool vampires, warm friendships, and the changes that test the bonds of love.

I must admit, I was hoping for more. When I began reading this, this was basically what ran through my head... "Asian protagonist, SCORE!" then "feisty, short protagonist who happens to be Asian! SCORE!" and finally "Vampires... Hmm... ZOMBIES!!" Yeah but then it went downhill.

The protagonist-
Let me just say this: if you like stubborn, loyal, hilariously strong-willed, and witty, Mel (short for a horrific name) is for you! She's easy to like (though not necessarily relate to) and she is the type of person who would put her neck out for her best friends. Unfortunately, she is also extremely rude, opinionated, and thinks she is always right. Despite that, she is really funny. And, though she is very opinionated, the reader can thoroughly understand her objections.

The guy-
Kit is... cute. He is fascinated he can make Mel laugh (he lives with non-laughing vampires) and human customs. At first he's all gung-ho on becoming a vamp once he turns 18, but then Mel comes along. Fun, adventure-loving, witty, and Asian Mel. His desire to become pale, painless, and laughless dwindles drastically as he learns just how much he'll miss laughing with humans (ahem Mel) and the possibility of learning to love as a human. (We don't really get this deep admittance but we assume this) He's very sweet, very cute, and did I mention his full name is KITTEN???!! Oh there are so many naughty things I could say about his name right now, but I will spare you all. For now.

The plot-
I liked the overall idea of it, but when it played out, I just didn't get in the groove. I sort of sat there reading, and thinking "Oh that's nice." and "Well that must stink" (1. during a romantic scene and 2. when a zombie attacks) I mean, that romantic scene could have been heated and yummy and totally WOWZAS with me thinking "IneedafanIneedafanIneedafan, I'm going to go faint now." and "OMG ZOMBIES!! ZOMBIESZOMBIESZOMBIES!!" But alas, no. Because trust me, books have made me think that. I have literally in the past slapped the book down and waved myself as if to fan myself. However, the plot is a nice idea. The mystery twists quite nicely and the moral dilemma is deep and relateable.

For those looking for a fun, light read with a bit of a mystery to it, I highly recommend it! For those looking for a passionate, deep, heart-wrenching novel, I'm afraid this is not for you.

Subscribe please and have a nice Labor Day weekend!
Cassie

No comments:

Post a Comment